It’s time to head to Beaufort, South Carolina and experience the eye-poppingly gorgeous Spanish Moss Trail. Think you and the family might enjoy an authentically southern bicycle or hiking trail? There is no shortage of stunning locations to wow outdoor enthusiasts here in the Lowcountry, but the Spanish Moss Trail ranks right up there with the best of them for so many reasons. Its 10+ miles of paved trail winds beautifully between the historic towns of Beaufort and Port Royal.
The History of The Spanish Moss Trail
The trail was originally carved out of Lowcountry wilderness in 1870 by the Magnolia Line Railroad. After the railroad closed operations in 2003, the Beaufort-Jasper Water Authority acquired the right-of-way to use the trail as a utility corridor. Flash forward to 2011 when Beaufort County sought to redevelop the land into a recreational trail
Today 10 miles of the twelve-foot wide paved trail has been completed and opened for public use. In the near future, an additional section of the trail will include outdoor vistas of both the beautiful Beaufort River and many iconic antebellum homes of the Lowcountry.
Who travels on the Spanish Moss Trail?
Well, the answer is - just about everyone! Literally anyone who enjoys being outdoors can make use of this trail:
- Cyclists, strollers, scooters, and skaters,
- Hikers, walkers, and runners,
- Plus nature lovers, families and pets (leashed only please).
If beautiful marsh views, Lowcountry wildlife in its natural habitat, historic sites and swaying live oak trees tickle your fancy, Spanish Moss Trail awaits.
Spanish Moss Trail: The Must-Know List
The Trail is open to everyone from dawn to dusk, but there are some things you should know before your visit.
- All wheeled vehicles are permitted on the Spanish Moss Trail excluding motorized vehicles (motorized wheelchairs ARE PERMITTED, however).
- Visitors are asked to remember all pets must be leashed and of course, please clean up after them.
- There are restroom facilities available on the Trail at Broome Lane & Depot Road trailhead parking areas and near Roseida Road.
- Spanish Moss Trail is made possible by public funding as well as private donations supporting the maintenance and further development of the Trail. If you enjoy the use of the trail, it’s a great thing to support, and all donations are welcomed.
If you’re searching for hiking, biking, and Lowcountry beauty, visit Spanish Moss Trail in Beaufort, SC. Here’s why:
- It offers 10 miles of beautiful Lowcountry trails (and it will be 16 miles when it’s completely developed)!
- 12 foot wide paved trails making it easy to exercise or stroll with large groups.
- 6 Trailhead access points with free parking ensure you can hop on and off seamlessly.
- The Lowcountry wildlife, birdlife, live oaks, and marsh vistas will dazzle you.
- The trail is open daily from dawn to dusk.
- All pedestrian/non-motorized traffic welcome and it’s totally free!
To learn more about Spanish Moss Trail in Beaufort, SC or how you can help continue its growth, visit the web site here!
What is your favorite thing about the Spanish Moss Trail?
Share with us in the comments below!