Moss hung oaks and grand southern homes rich in history line the streets of the Historic Landmark District in Beaufort, SC.. One of the finest and most notable homes is the Milton Maxcy House also referred to as Secession House. The home was originally built by Milton Maxcy, circa 1810, as a school for boys. In the 1840's Edmund Rhett,brother of U.S. Senator Robert Barnwell Rhett purchased the home. The first meeting in favor of secession from the Union took place in the Milton Maxcy Home. During the Civil War, the home served many purposes from officers' quarters, a hospital and as a Pay Master's Station for Union Troops. Edmund Rhett completely remodeled the home in a Greek Revival architectural style. **See More**
Cable TV/Available, Ceiling Fan, Dishwasher, Gas/Oven/Range, Refrigerator
Concrete Block, Cypress/Cedar, Frame
Data last updated: December 13th, 2018 at 3:46am EST and updating occurs every 15 minutes
The information being provided by BEAUFORT® is for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing.