We continue to monitor and track Hurricane Irma as it makes its way through the Atlantic. Still, the path is uncertain but what we do know is that preparation is key, and Gov. Henry McMaster urged citizens to prepare. We have compiled a list of helpful resources you can use to stay informed as the storm moves toward land. They can be found here Resources You Can Use Before, During, and After a Hurricane.
To help in the preparation process, we wanted to share a few suggestions and emergency preparedness check lists.
1. Fill up all vehicles with gas, check tires and oil
2. Have cash on-hand
3. Organize and pack important documents including insurance policies
4. Photograph your property including the interior, exterior, additional structures, and surrounding land
5. Pack pet supplies including vet records plus an extra collar and leash for each pet
6. Place towels at the base of exterior doors and windowsills
7. Secure and/or bring in all outdoor furniture, potted plants, and loose items
8. Discuss evacuation plans with friends and family Freeze a small bowl of water, place a shell on the frozen surface, and place it back in the freezer. When you return home, if you find the shell covered in ice, you know your refrigerator has lost power and it may not be safe to consume food previously refrigerated.